WOW!
Update Time!
Literally,
that's all I can say right now. Did you see my last post? I can't believe I
said all of that and then NEVER created another post until NOW! What was I
thinking? At least I added the "I hope" right? Well, I can CERTAINLY
say that SO much has happened since my last post. Where to start...
Why don't
we back up and recap a little bit...a little bit about US ;)
Jaeden, my hubby, and I met at a bowling alley with friends in
January of 2011, two weeks after he’d been home from his mission. At the time,
he had his eye on another young lady, but we talked often and became friends.
Less than six months later, he proposed on my birthday while we were staying at
cabin with my family. We were excited and shared the news with my family, but
the only response we received at the time was “Wow…” and complete silence.
Since Jaeden had been home from his mission he’d started school and was
searching for a job high and low, but hadn’t had any luck. As far as my family
knew there was no way he could provide for their beloved daughter and sister.
Then a few minutes later we informed them that Jaeden had just been offered a
job at Radio Shack (which he told me AFTER I had gone with faith and said “Yes”
to his proposal) – finally we received some excitement from the family and the
girls stayed up all night talking about it. My dad had started warming up to
the idea the following day and started showing a little bit of encouragement.
Exactly three months later we were married in the Mesa Temple on Constitution
Day, Sep. 17th. Our son, Hyrum, joined us within the year and we
celebrated our THREE year anniversary this September. We could not be happier.
My mom often informs me of how happy she is for us and so glad that I married
Jaeden – with faith and staying true to the gospel and choosing to have a
family we have been so blessed. Life is grand – we have enjoyed the journey
together and are excited to have and share the eternities ahead. We are
expecting a little girl, Celeste, to join us in late December and are truly excited
for this next chapter in our lives.
I am proud to be a MOM. I choose to be a MOM. I love being MOM (or
Mommy)!
My grandpa passed away earlier this year and we were privileged to
have the opportunity to move into his house and rent from my parents - a
blessing in disguise. We moved into a new neighborhood and a new ward. Recently
we were asked to speak about ‘sustaining leaders by applying their
counsel’ at church. I would like to share with you what I have already shared
with some -- simply because the more I think about it - I realize how much it
means to me.
"Sustaining leaders by applying their counsel" can be a
mouth full for some so let’s break it down and focus on a few words
particularly sustain and counsel. What does it mean to sustain? Sustain is a
verb – an action word – meaning to strengthen or support. When we are
sustaining somebody we are DOING something, we are supporting or helping them
actively. Counsel (taken from LDS.org) is a noun which means ‘admonitions,
warnings, advice and instruction from the Lord and his ordained leaders’. So,
‘sustaining leaders by applying their counsel’ means to strengthen or support
our leaders by listening to the warnings and advice given and following
instructions that have been shared with us.
Now why is this important? Why would I want to follow instructions
and advice given? As a child or young teenager we often wonder why our parents
give us rules to follow, sometimes (if it’s something we don’t like or not easy
to do) we may get frustrated and let the rules infuriate us, but they are not
there to simply make us angry and our life miserable. They are there to protect
us – quite literally sometimes! We realized this even more as parents or when
we are responsible for another individual. I know as our son is growing up we
have tried to do our best to teach him what is acceptable and what isn’t or
what are the good things to do versus some not good things. We try to teach him
to stay close to us, stay out of the street, to respond when we call…we try to
establish limits by giving warnings and advice and hope that he is listening to
the warnings, advice, and instruction that we give him.
Several weeks ago my son and I were spending the day out with
friends, we went to a farm and enjoyed flavored milk, ice cream, feeding
animals, hayride tour of the farm, chasing chickens, and my son even got to
enjoy his first little horse ride. Then we left the farm and decided to grab
some lunch nearby. We enjoyed our meal and then started getting ready to leave.
My son decided not to listen and continued running around inside the building
several times when he should’ve have been walking nearby or holding my hand to
exit the building. He finally came over to me and we exited and started walking
out to the car, once we got the car however and I was about to put stuff in the
car my son decided that’d it’d be fun to start running again. He did not look
where he was going and ran as fast as he could straight through the parking lot
and into the street. I was devastated. As soon as he had left my side I was
calling out to him, trying to get his attention and asking him to stop. At
first I didn’t think he would get that far and he would come to his senses and
turn around, but nevertheless I felt impressed to drop everything immediately
and follow after him. I am SO glad I listened to that prompting! Had I not
listened to that prompting my son most likely would have made it across the
median (already passing a four lanes length). Fortunately, there was NO traffic
on our side because there had been a red light – one time I am truly grateful
for red lights! I retrieved him from the street and took him back to the car. I
informed our friends that we were done playing for the day and we headed home.
The whole ride home I was in tears as I tried to tell my son why it is
important to listen to his parents – when we are trying to share counsel with
him to protect him and keep him safe because we love him and Heavenly Father
loves him. I learned so many lessons that day and truly gained perspective. I
am so glad that our son is here with us today – I don’t know what I would do
without him.
The point I’m trying to make is that it is important to not only
hear counsel, but to listen to it and apply it in our lives – for it truly is
there to protect us and help us in life. In Proverbs 11:14 it reads, “Where no
counsel is, the people fall (or in my sons case get hurt): but in the multitude
of counselors there is safety.”
So who are our counselors? What are they counselling us to do?
What are they telling us? Earlier in October we had the opportunity to listen
to general conference where several of Heavenly Father’s appointed leaders were
able to share counsel with us. Several topics and items of counsel were shared
with us regarding the importance of strengthening our faith and testimony, the
keys of spiritual protection, and keeping the commandments. What they have
suggested are ways to help protect us here and now as well in the future when
we may come across hard or challenging times – whether it be a physical,
mental, emotional or spiritual – when we apply counsel we will be
kept safe from harm and become enlightened.
Last October I was in the middle of teaching or subbing long term
for a class. It had its challenges, but I greatly enjoyed every bit of it. I
learned so much and was able to help others. It was kind of hard leaving my son
with family or friends everyday so that I could work. I rarely saw Jaeden
except for Sundays and part of Saturdays.
When conference came last October there were several talks about
sharing time with those you love – these words never left my mind. The holidays
came and I realized how nice it was to be with my family and kept hearing the
words of those who had shared the counsel to be with and share time with those
you love – it was kind of haunting but I knew what I had to do.
It was a hard decision to make, because being there helped us
financially and provided me with further educational and teaching experience
and working with some amazing people I will never forget, but I knew where I
needed to be. I needed to be home with my son and for those I love. I wanted to
be the one to watch him grow up and teach him first, before I try to reach out
and teach others.
Occasionally, I’ll think back and wish I had stayed, but truly I
have been so blessed being home with my son. The experiences and times that we
have shared, which wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise – I wouldn’t trade
them for anything. He means so much to me. I know that I love him and I can show
him by how I spend my time with him and allowing him to be so involved in my
life. He knows I love him, because I’m always there. Life may not always be
easy, and giving up things you think you want or need, but it’s worth it. Had I
not listened to the counsel given last year, some aspects in our life might be
better, but we wouldn’t truly be blessed where it really counts or as close as
we are as a family. By listening to this counsel, we have been protected from
worldly aspects and my son is able to grow up in the safety of his own home
with loving parents.
In Exodus 18:19 we hear, “Hearken now unto my voice, I will
give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee:…” when I obey and listen to
counsel given I can feel the spirit and know that God is near. I know that I am
doing the right thing and what is best for my family. There is plenty of
counsel given and shared with us all the time, we are not perfect and may not
have grasped the concept of everything yet, but when we do try and actively
apply what has been shared with us. We will truly be blessed and come closer to
our Savior.
I am so grateful that I’ve been able to choose wisely
throughout my life and had great parents and leaders to listen to and follow
good examples, that I was able to dress modestly, have good thoughts, and get
married in the temple. Doing the things that we have been asked or advised
prevents us from going astray or losing sight of our purpose here and what God
has planned for us. I hope that we can reflect on what counsel we have received
recently and try even harder to apply it in our lives. If it’s overwhelming to
do everything, so don't do everything at once. Instead start with ONE new thing
and go from there. In drama classes some would say, “Fake it until you make it” -
just as this can be applied to drama and learning to act we too we
must first TRY and start something or we will never succeed. Don’t wait until
tomorrow to do what can be done today. Head the counsel of our leaders and I
promise you will be truly blessed and happier for your efforts.
These are the thoughts that I shared in church a few weeks ago. I
kind of felt silly, because I was reflecting on Conference words from the year
previously instead of the same month, but they had greatly influenced my life
and were of great worth to me. I will continue to try and spend time with those
I love, but I know it will NOT be easy. As we are expecting our newest addition
the family in a month, I know that there will be one more person to share my
attention with. In fact BALANCE will have a whole new meaning to life, it will
be more tempting to want to leave the home and assist my hubby with financial
responsibilities in times of need, but as long as I head the counsel we have
been given and have faith EVERYTHING will workout somehow. It may not be how we
wish or hope for first, but with time and patience and TRUST in the LORD, He
will watch over us and we will be blessed.
So, I ask myself, what counsel am I following now? There are SO
many things I need to work on or tasks that I completely fail at and
feel totally inadequate because I have stopped doing them. "You're not a
failure until you fail to try" are wise words I've once heard. I don't
want to be a failure, I don't want to give up just because it seems easier or I
think I don't have time to do certain things. Sure, I am home with my son all
day and will have my daughter join us soon, certainly I will be BUSIER, but I
can still make time for things that are important to me if I TRY...and TRY
AGAIN! Instead of thinking about the things I lack all of the time or am not
doing I first need to STOP making that list of UN-accomplishments and turn
things around. I need to take the advice I shared with others and choose ONE
thing to work on TODAY..... NOT tomorrow!
As I prepared my talk for church and I've watched and waited for
the mail to come, I have realized that our subscription to the church magazines
has expired and we failed to renew it -- no wonder I remarked about last year's
conference session (toddler didn't allow me to take too many notes this time).
So, while I was out browsing at Deseret Book today I decided to purchase a
General Conference issue of the Ensign! First step, CHECK! Now, step two and
up....make sure the Ensign doesn't just sit around somewhere and get dusty or
lost! I want to read it and become familiar with all the words that were shared
with us. I want them to become a part of me. I want to rediscover their beauty
and learn something from each one of them -- that's why we have them!!!
Within 24 hour days, I should be able to sit down for 30 min and
read a couple of pages and ponder on what is shared - take time to THINK for
myself! Some ME time, some QUIET time! Allow the myself to be TAUGHT while the
Spirit TEACHES me. This can only happen if I let it...! Even if it's only
FIFTEEN minutes a day - it is better than nothing!!! It is a step in the RIGHT
DIRECTION! I know I am NOT perfect and know I will continue to mess up, but
HOPEFULLY this time it won't take me so long to get back to it and other goals
that I may have - reflecting on the scriptures and words of modern prophets and
counselors - wisdom of others! I will have highlighters and writing utensils in
my night stand by my bed with my newly purchased copy of the Ensign...and I am
excited! I'm ready to go! Be EXCITED with me and absolutely feel free to
check up on me - reminders help and it's always easier to accomplish goals with
support!
Now...what will you start doing today?
Make a change, make a difference. Live life to the fullest!
Best wishes!
No comments:
Post a Comment